Berat Z. Haznedaroğlu
Environmental microbiology and biotechnology
Next-generations system biology
Fate and transport of pathogens
Microalgae functional genomics
Postdoctoral, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, USA, 2012
PhD, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California-Riverside, USA, 2010
M.S., Civil and Environmantal Engineering, Villanova University, 2005
B.S., Biology, Middle East Technical University, TR, 2003
Assistant Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2014
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Buffallo, New York, 2012-2014
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2010-2012
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, 2005-2010
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2003-2005
- “Systems-level Characterization of Photoautotrophic Hydrogen Production in Non-model Microalgae and Cyanobacteria”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 1001 Scientific and Technological Research Projects Funding Program, $135,000 [Award ID: 115Y163; January 2016-2018].
- “Istanbul Algal Biotechnology Research and Development Center”, Istanbul Development Agency, Innovative Istanbul Financial Assistance Program, $560,000 [Award ID: TR10/15/YNK/0062; co-PIs: Burak Demirel, Turgut Onay, Emre Otay, Ulas Tezel (UB); September 2015 – August 2016].
- “SusChEM-Time-series Characterization and Modeling of Non-model Microalgae at the Systems-level for Sustainable Chemical Production, NSF Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems (CBET), Energy for Sustainability Program, $550,000 [Award ID: 1438172, co-PIs: Blaine Pfeifer (UB); Ekin Atilla-Gokcumen (UB); September 2014 – August 2017].
- “Cellular and Molecular Characterization of Non-model Microalgae for Maximized Lipid Synthesis”, The Royal Society, Newton Fund, $163,000 [Award ID: NA140481; co-PI: Alison Smith (University of Cambridge); March 2015 – 2018].
- “Improving Biofuel Capacity of Microalga at the Systems Level by OMICS-based Characterization”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 2232 Incoming Researcher Program, $13,500 [Award ID: 115C019; February 2015 – 2017].
- Ghafari, M., Rashidi, B., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2016. “Effects of Macro and Micronutrients on Neutral Lipid Accumulation in Oleaginous Microalgae”, Biofuels, [in press].
- Han, Y., Hwang, G., Kim, H., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., and Lee, B., 2015. “Amine-impregnated Millimeter-sized Spherical Silica Foams with Hierarchical Mesoporous-Macroporous Structure for CO2 Capture”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 259(2015), 653-662.
- Beckinghausen, A., Martinez, A., Blersch, D., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2014. “Association of nuisance filamentous algae Cladophora spp. with E. coli and Salmonella in public beach waters: impacts of UV protection on bacterial survival”, Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 16(6), 1267-1274 [invited Article].
- Soh, L., Montazeri, M., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., Kelly, C., Peccia, J., Eckelman, M., and Zimmerman, J., 2014. “Evaluating microalgal integrated biorefinery schemes: Empirical controlled growth studies and life cycle assessment”, Bioresource Technology, 151, 19-27 [Cover Article].
- Peccia, J., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., Gutierrez, J., and Zimmerman, J., 2013. “Nitrogen Supply is an Important Driver of Sustainable Microalgae Biofuel Production”, Trends in Biotechnology, 31(3), 134-138 [Invited Article].