Berat Z. Haznedaroğlu
Environmental microbiology and biotechnology
Fate and transport of pathogens
Microalgae functional genomics
Postdoctoral, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, USA, 2012
PhD, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California-Riverside, USA, 2010
M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Villanova University, USA, 2005
B.S., Biology, Middle East Technical University, TR, 2003
Assistant Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2014 - Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering, University at Buffalo, New York, 2012-2014
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2010-2012
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, 2005-2010
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Villanova University, 2003-2005
- “Integrated Biorefinery Concept for Bioeconomy Driven Development (INDEPENDENT)”, Ministry of Industry and Technology & Directorate General for EU and Foreign Affairs Department of EU Financial Programmes, Competitiveness and Innovation Sector Operational Programme (CISOP), 6.900.000€ [Award ID: EuropeAid/140111/IH/SUP/TR; December 2019–2024].
- “Microalgal Life Support Systems for Space Missions (UzMAn)”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey Space Institute (TUBITAK-Uzay), $65.000 [Award ID: TABM-HZT-23-24; co-PIs: Osman Okur, Elif Ünveren, Caner Yürüdü (TUBITAK-MAM); Turgay Çakmak (İMU); April 2023–February 2024].
- “Microalgae Based Sustainable Bio-Jet Fuel Project (MICRO-JET)”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 1003 Primary Subjects R&D Funding Program, $448.000 [Award ID: 218M857; June 2020–July 2023].
- “Development of Algae-based Inhibitor Compounds against SARS-CoV-2 Virus (VirALGin)”, Higher Education Council, Research Universities Support Program, $185.000 [Award ID: 22Y00ADP1; co-PIs: Rana Sanyal (BU); August 2022–2024].
- “Istanbul Renewable Energy Generation and Storage Technologies Research and Development Center (Renew-IST)”, Istanbul Development Agency, Innovative Istanbul Financial Assistance Program, $521.000 [Award ID: TR10/21/YEP/0001; co-PIs: Damla Eroğlu Pala, Betül Uralcan (BU); Can Erkey, Alper Uzun, Sarp Kaya (Koç Uni.); February 2022–July 2023].
- Sakarya, F.K., Ertekin, E., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2023. “Algae-Based Treatment of Domestic and Industrial Wastewater”, In A Sustainable Green Future - Perspectives on Energy, Economy, Industry, Cities and Environment, Oncel, S. (Editor), Springer Nature, Cham, Switzerland, ISBN: 9783031249426.
- Borhan, E., Ozcelik, D., Yilmaz, A., Sakarya, F.K., Sahin, Z., Yesir, A., Karamollaoglu, I., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2022. “Understanding Metabolic Pathways and Their Network to Augment Microalgal Strain Performance for Industrially Important Metabolites Production”, In Microalgae for Sustainable Products: The Green Synthetic Biology Platform, Shekh, A., and Dasgupta, S. (Editors), Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC Publishing), Cambridge, UK, ISBN: 9781839165627.
- Ozcelik, D., Sakarya, F.K., Tezel, U., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2022. “Recent Advancements in Algae-Bacteria Consortia for the Treatment of Domestic and Industrial Wastewater”, In Integrated Waste Management and Valorization using Algal Cultures, Demirer G., and Demirer, S. (Editors), Elsevier Publishing, Amsterdam, Netherlands, ISBN: 9780323858595.
- Avci, S., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2022. “Pretreatment of Algal and Cyanobacterial Biomass for High Purity Phycocyanin Production”. Journal of Applied Phycology, 34(4), 2015-2026.
- Gelgor, R.D., Ozcelik, D., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2022. “Effect of Baking on the Biochemical Composition of Chlorella vulgaris”. Algal Research, (65), 102716.